Wednesday 6 April 2011

Scene 3 - First Version

I have now completed the first version of my third scene. I had started making the set for this scene a long time ago but I had never fully finished it. Now I have learnt a lot more about materials and 3DS in general, so I was able to improve on it a lot.

The first thing I needed to do was to adjust the back wall. I wanted to have a window that Bond will aim out of, so I created a new box shape and deleted some of the polys so there was a hole through the shape. I then used the bridge tool on each of the edges to fill in the gaps so you couldn't see through the mesh. I then created another box and fitted it in the gap. I set the material to be the pro materials glass.





Next, I changed the colour schemes of the walls. The walls need to match the colour of the corridor I previously created, so the brown colour I chose before was not appropriate. I went for a white/cream colour. I used the pro material wall paint material with a roller setting. I also removed one of the lamps to accommodate for the window. Outside the window, I created a box and put a sky image onto it. This makes it look like the office is high up in the building, and gives Bond something to fire out of! The other thing I did was change the material of the desk in the centre. Glass was just becoming too much of a pain, to render, to view, to do anything with. I decided I'd make it a simple brown material, that way it would render nicely. I used a simple standard material with a brown diffuse.





Next, I needed to import all the models into the scene. I required my gun, the mobile phone and the right hand and sleeve. Using File, Import, Merge I was able to do this and after some resizing, the models could all be placed into the scene.





Next up, I started animating the camera. Animating a target camera is a little bit fiddly, as you need to animate the camera end as well as the target end. This makes for some frustrating times using set key, as keys get lost or moved and the camera changes place. I animated the camera looking from the left to the desk at the end, then zooming into it.





The hand model needed to be adjusted to accommodate the mobile phone. I did this using the soft selection tool, along with rotation and move tool. The phone sits in the hand nicely. Set key was used to make the hand appear in the correct place and then move. I have not yet done the shock from the phone's prongs, that will be next on the agenda! The arm then moves back out of the camera and it remains out of shot.





Once the arm moves out of shot, I used set key again to make the box's lid rotate upwards, revealing Bond's walther p99 and some bullets inside. At this point the camera zooms upwards and into the box to show you whats inside. This was very tricky as the camera part of the viewport only updates when you select it, so a lot of trial and error is involved to get the camera into the correct place.





Next was the bit that I thought would be tricky... picking the gun up! As the camera had moved up, it allowed me more space to rotate the arm downwards towards the box. I then used the link constraint tool to attach the gun to the hand. This enabled me to move the arm upwards with the gun attached. The gun had to be rotated in the box to fit into the hand. I then set the camera to pan away to the MI6 picture on the wall (to remind Bond of who he works for, and also to enable me to substitute in my final arm with gun!) The camera then pans to the window and the gun is aiming out of it. The final thing is for the camera to zoom into the back of the gun... cue gun barrel scene next!





As I used three different arms in the course of this scene, I needed them to appear and disappear. Before I have used the mini curve editor to do this, but now I have found out to use the dope sheet. It is very similar but there are a few differences. Once the arm is selected, right click and choose dope sheet. A box is brought up. The first thing to do is add a visibility track. Once this is done, go to assign, controller and set it to on/off. Then you can add and set keyframes. To make the item invisible at first, the first keyframe has to be placed before 0 on the frame count. The second keyframe will mark where the item becomes visible. This was done for the arm that picks up the gun, and the arm holding the gun ready to fire.




The final thing I did was to import a few of my previously made models and put them on the desk at the side. I thought it was a nice touch to get them into a scene somewhere!


I have rendered this scene, you can see below. There are a couple of things that need to be done. Obviously the phone needs to fire something out of its prongs to open the safe. I also need to look at the phone screen, maybe find a JPEG to go on there. The final thing that I forgot to do for this render is add the carpet! When the door opens in scene two you see the floor of this room and there is no carpet in there yet!






Another adjustment to this scene is to use bones in the arm that picks up the gun. This enables the arm to be more flexable. First off, the arm is selected, and the bone tool found. The arm fitted five bones inside.







Once the bones were in the correct place, it was time to use the skin modifier on the arm. You have to add the bones into the box on the right hand side in the modifier panel. Once this is done the arm now movees with the bones.







John McNally
Blue Skies, Red Sunsets and a Red Moon
2009
http://johnmcnally54.com/blue-skies-red-sunsets-and-a-red-moon/
[Internet]
[06/04/2011]

Got3d
Got3d Texture Store - 70 Carpet Textures
2004
http://store.got3d.com/products/70-carpet-textures/pages/Office-Carpet06.html
[Internet]
[31/3/2011]

No comments:

Post a Comment