Thursday 24 March 2011

SWOT Analysis

SWOT Analysis

I have carried out a SWOT analysis test to see if I am on course to meet my objectives for this module. The outcome of my work is as follows:

To create a thirty second James Bond trailer using 3DS Max, demonstrating a range of skills within the software.

Strengths – The work does demonstrate an understanding of the software. The models were made and handed in on time, fully complete. The modelling matches the storyboard set out earlier on in the course. Also, learning has been gained from completing the tutorials in class time and experimenting with some of the different features in the software. The later made models (watch, hand, gun barrel) are more in depth which helps to show that I have learnt more throughout the course. My work does show that I have learnt quite a lot since starting the course, as I had never used a piece of software like this before. I am on course to complete the animation by week 12, animating is now in full swing!


Weaknesses - The first model was very basic. This does not help me gain particularly high marks or show much skill in modelling. At times I have struggled to follow tutorials and have spent far longer doing things that would take somebody better barely any time at all. Also, I seem to struggle to solve problems, such as when I accidently hit control X (which brings up expert mode) I was clueless how to bring back the normal scene. I also find that the mesh within my models becomes messed up, no matter how careful I am. Another weakness is down to my drawing/creating ability. I have never been particularly good at creating realistic things, as can be seen from the terrible drawing on my first storyboard. I just hope that my modelling is good enough to create something realistic in the end. Animating seems ok so far, hopefully I won't come across too many problems or I may be there all day solving them!



Opportunities - This whole module is a great opportunity to get better at modelling and animating. Baring in mind I had never done anything like this before, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I have a great opportunity this summer to spend more time in 3ds Max, improving my skills. Hopefully my final piece will give me an opportunity to enable me to get better. I also have the opportunity to learn from my mistakes this time around. If I could re-do this course now I would spend far more time planning and preparing in the first couple of weeks (tough this time as I had no real concept of what we can do in the software) and I would also choose my models far more carefully for the first hand in. I would also spend more time early on working out how I would do things later on and doing necessary tutorials.


Threats - The main threat to my work is coming across little problems that affect the scene. An example could be what happened with my gun model on one save, where suddenly I realised it was incorrectly shaped! Obviously a slip of a button previously messed it up without me noticing, and it takes ages to correct it! Another threat is the rendering times. I have already seen how long it takes to render a scene using the lab computers. I have also found out that my pc at home isn't as powerful as the lab computers, so rendering times are going to be a nightmare! As long as I plan my scenes and get animating now, there shouldn't be any major threats to me completing the objective set at the start.

No comments:

Post a Comment